Anyone who is into video content creation would be in need of a screencasting tool. What is a screencast? A screencast is a digital recording of a computer screen output. For example, most people do screencast when they want to demo a product for review or simply create a user tutorial.
In this article, I am going to introduce a screencast tool known as Screencast-o-matic.
I have been using this tool for a few weeks, and in my opinion, it is definitely one of the best screencasting application out there and to top it off, it’s available free of charge unless you want to go for the PRO version which offers you unlimited recording duration.
Without further ado, let me walk you through what I like about Screencast-o-matic and what I think can be further improved.
What I Like
1. Screencast-o-matic comes with a free version that allows you to record up to 15 mins of video. That is a good length for most videos because anything too long is probably going to have a hard time holding the attention of the viewer.
If you find yourself needing to record longer videos (>15 mins), you can upgrade to the Pro version where the length of the recording is limited only by your disk space.
2. You have the option to record either the computer screen output, just yourself via your computer’s webcam, or a combination of both.
3. Launch the application from any browser and start recording away. Alternatively, a standalone application is also available for download so that you can launch it without going through any browser.
4. Record videos of your active window or up to fullscreen of your computer. Prefer a smaller video? No problem either as they offer from 480p onwards up to 1080p (for the Pro version)
5. Pause and resume anywhere during the recording. What a time-saver this is. Imagine not having to hit the “delete and start all over” again and again due to awkward silences. Am I the only one?
6. You have the option to save the video files onto your computer or upload them directly to Screencast-O-Matic or to YouTube.
7. See that music icon (just below Redo button)? That allows you to add music tracks to your recording. I am not a big fan of adding music track to screencast because they make it hard to hear the main content but that’s just me. In any case, this is a nice option to have if I so happen to make a screencast video with any voiceover in it.
8. The PRO version allows basic editing to be done to the recorded screencast, saving you time from having to export it to some other video editor.
9. Screencast-O-Matic is fast and efficient to use.
10. The Pro version costs ONLY $18! What? Yes, it’s true. It’s only $18 where most other screencast software in the market are going for $49 and above.
Final Verdict...it's 9.5/10
It is so biased if I were to give Screencast-O-Matic a perfect 10/10.
Fact is…it is a very well designed software and perhaps the only area which I would like is for them to remove the watermark from the free version. It is a small watermark at the bottom left corner of your video recording, and is thus not distracting at all.
For those who are looking for a quality screencast software, I highly recommend you to try out Screencast-O-Matic and for the price of $18/year, this is one of the best value for money. If you love it so much that you want to take up a 3 year plan, the price comes down to $12/year.